Here in New Jersey, we are preparing for the hurricane Sandy to arrive so not too many people are thinking about Halloween. There are, however, those who just can’t wait to get dressed up and go tick-or-treating this Wednesday. For those, here are some helpful tips on how to make this an enjoyable and memorable occasion.
- If your child will be trick-or-treating without you, decide on a route beforehand and don’t allow your child to go door to door alone.
- Be sure to walk on the sidewalks and driveways. When crossing a street, do so safely.
- If possible, carry a cellular phone and not just a camera. Make sure your electronics are fully charged.
- Make sure your children carry a flashlight or glow stick to be visible.
- If you bring your pet along, make sure your dog or cat has proper identification.
- Remind your children of the dangers of getting into a stranger’s car or house.
- If your children have a food allergy, carry their emergency medicines with you.
- When driving, be mindful of other children. Be alert and obey the speed limit in neighborhoods.