So you got divorced. You have your property settlement agreement. You got your stuff. You are ready to start a new life. Unfortunately, before you can truly start a new beginning, first you still have to take care of a few pesky issues that can haunt you for years if neglected.
- If you decided to change your name, make sure you update your social security card and your driver’s license.
- Update or change all authorizations on your open credit accounts. You probably don’t want your ex charging your MasterCard.
- Re-register your assets and property in your name alone.
- Close joint bank accounts.
- Either pay off all joint debt, or make appropriate arrangements.
- Obtain and review your credit report.
- Review and update your health insurance. Again, if not required to do so, do you want to pay for your ex?
- Adjust your tax withholding on form W-4 to reflect your new marital status (or notify your human resources department).
- Review your estate plan. If your ex is named as your executor, maybe it’s time to get a new will.